Thing 7a- My Experience with my Reader

I have had an interesting experience as I read my reader daily.  I have found that my teachers warning about not getting caught up in the quantity of information was an important piece of advice.  I found myself opening up the articles just to see what they were all about.  I have spent a lot of time trying to hang onto every word of each article.  Soon after I started, I realized I would need to skim to see what applies to my interest. I guess sometimes you have to learn the hard way even though I was warned ahead of time.  It has been kind of fun.  It is amazing how just a paragraph can give you something new to think about or even a new idea.  Sometimes I have taken what was said and taken it one step further.

I read an interesting post from Two Writing Teachers that was very simple but really made me think.  I love to teach writing.  They were stating that we should always have a mentor.  They were stating their favorite authors and it forced me to think about some children’s authors that I use as mentors to teach writing as well as to write myself.  I thought about Patricia Polacco, Lester Laminack, Cynthia Rylant, and Andrew Clements.  It allowed me to reflect on why I use them as examples for the kids.  I also have two friends that have been a great example to me.  I believe we can learn so much from each other.