Thing 20 – Google Documents

This was very cool and easy to use.  This will make my life a lot easier.  Last spring, the other forth grade teacher and I were emailing back and fourth about our Welcome Packet.  After a few times it got confusing as to which one the latest copy was.  Google documents will take care of this.  When I write something, I always ask someone to proof the paper.  Now I can do this easily with Google documents.  As my practice exercise, I wrote a letter to the faculty about a recycling program my school is doing.  I sent it to some other people that can proof it and let me know if I left anything out.  This is going to be great!  I also did a spread sheet for a committee I am on.  I have been putting off making a contact list.  Now everyone can help with this.  All I did was put the headings such as name, committee, address, home phone number, cell phone number,  and email address.  I am going to share the spreadsheet with everyone on the committee and have them fill out their own information.  This is going to be great!

I can’t wait to use it in the classroom with the students.  I work at a private school and it is hard for the kids to get together to work on projects.  This will be a great tool to allow the kids to collaborate on a report or project.  I think it will also be very useful to edit each others writing.  I think it would also be neat to have a spreadsheet that is used as a checklist like what we are using for this class.  When a student finishes a task they could check it off.  That way, I could periodically go in and see where everyone is.  I can see me using this in many ways with my students!  I think I am hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!